Following a record-breaking debut by rookie QB Cam Newton Sunday, the Carolina Panthers were rocked by allegations that Cam’s father Cecil Newton sought substantial sums of money in return for his son playing for a major professional team.
While at Auburn last year, Cam Newton spent much season embroiled in a controversy regarding allegations that his father Cecil had sought large amounts of cash in return for Cam playing in the SEC Conference.
Shortly after making Cam Newton the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft, Panthers GM Marty Hurney charged that Cecil Newton said it would take “more than just a scholarship” to secure his son’s services for the team that finished with the worst record in 2010. This demand was apparently communicated by agent Bus Cook who threatened to have his other client Brett Favre report to Panthers camp if his demands weren’t met. Cook later admitted in local radio interviews that Cecil Newton said it would take “anywhere between $10 to $15 million more than what Mississippi State offered the previous year.”
The latest scandal marred the Heisman Winner’s 24 of 37 passing for 422-yard effort that also included two passing and one rushing touchdowns. When asked about these pay-for-play demands, Cam Newton feigned surprise.
“I don’t really know what my dad and Mr. Cook talk about,” said Cam Newton. “I just want to play football.”
Commissioner Roger Goodell promised swift action into the matter as soon as the NFL concludes its investigation on whether Al Davis was forced to sign JaMarcus Russell to a six-year, $61 million contract in 2007.